Reg Grantham, our senior financial adviser, has a passion for assisting our Veterans with their finances, and any potential benefits or compensation that may be due. Reg's late father Max served in Papua New Guinea during WWII.

Impairment Compensation

As a Veteran, you may be eligible for compensation payments if you have sustained physical or psychological impairment or incapacity related to your defence service.

Dependant Payments

You may also be eligible for compensation payments if you are the dependant of a current or former ADF member who has died as a result of their defence service.

Incapacity Payments

Incapacity payments are compensation for economic loss due to the inability (or reduced ability) to work because of an injury or disease that has been accepted as service.

Attendant Care Services

You may be eligible for compensation for Attendant Care services depending on varying situations, impairment and injury levels.

Household Services

You may also be eligible for payment for various household services to take place, again, depending on your circumstances.

Eligible Young Persons

Even if you are a young veteran, you may be eligible for varying types of compensation, including some lump sum payments, Student start-up scholarships, and relocation scholarships.

Veteran compensation, and lump some payments can be quite confusing.
Contact Acorn Financial Services today for assistance.



Veterans who have served in Australia's defence force may be eligible for pensions or benefits from DVA, depending on their individual situation. Some British, Commonwealth and Allied veterans who served in conflicts in which Australia was involved may also be eligible for pensions/or benefits from DVA.

Qualifying service is one of the criteria used to determine if you are eligible for a service pension. Qualifying service for a service pension is different from operational service for a disability pension. You may be eligible for a disability pension, but not be eligible for a service pension.

As a member of the Australia’s defence force, you may have qualifying service if you:

  • served in an operational area after the Second World War and were allotted for duty in that operational area; or rendered war like service; or
  • rendered service during the Second World War and incurred danger from hostile forces of the enemy during the period of hostilities (this criterion also applies to Australian mariners); or
  • served in an operational area after the Second World War and were allotted for duty, or were a member of a unit that was allotted for duty in that operational area; or have warlike service; or
  • served on certain submarine special operations between 1978 and 1992 and were awarded, or were eligible to be awarded, the Australian Service Medal with the Special Operations Clasp; or
  • have been awarded, or were eligible to be awarded, prescribed medals/clasps in respect of certain bomb clearance or minesweeping duties following the Second World War.

Former serving members

If you are a former member of Australia’s defence force (including in reservist and cadet positions), you may be eligible to claim compensation for any medical condition related to your service. The entitlements available depend on the legislation applicable at the time of service and the type of service you rendered.

See also current or transitioning ADF member

Current serving members

If you are a current serving member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF), including in reserve and cadet positions, you may be eligible for medical treatment (e.g. if you are in the process of being discharged from the ADF), rehabilitation and compensation or vocational services for any condition relating to your service.

The On Base Advisory Service (OBAS) provides advice about eligibility for assistance through DVA. You can contact On Base Advisors either on base or during their regular scheduled visits to base.

If you are an injured or ill former-ADF member, you may be eligible for a white card (for specific conditions) or a gold card(for all conditions) for health care services at DVA's expense. DVA Health cards are not generally provided to serving members, as these costs are ordinarily met by the ADF.

See also current or transitioning ADF member.

Family and dependants

Partner/ Spouse

If you are married to, in a de facto relationship with, or separated from, a member/ veteran (including same-sex relationships), you may be eligible for benefits as a partner.

Widow/ Widower

If you are a widow or widower of an eligible member/ veteran, you may be able to access financial assistance and other benefits from DVA.


Financial assistance, student support services including education schemes, guidance and counselling services may be available to children of eligible veterans.

Police officers

If you are a police officer who served in a declared peacekeeping force, you may be eligible to claim disability compensation pension and treatment for any injury or disease accepted as being caused by your peacekeeping service. You may also be eligible for the Veterans' Vocational Rehabilitation Scheme.

Entitlement Self Assessment

DVA's Entitlement Self Assessment tool comprises a series of questions to help existing and prospective DVA clients to assess potential entitlements.

This online service asks a number of questions relating to service, dependent family members and any current benefits you may be receiving.

Further Information

Further information on the various possible compensation and payments for Veterans can be found on the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) website.

DVA Website